There is a protocol you will have to follow if you are applying for a new passport. It is better to apply for the passport in person by filling the form DS-11 in these following cases:
- If this is the first time you are applying for a passport
- If you are below 16
- If your previous passport was issued to you when you were below 16
- If your previous passport was stolen, lost or damaged
- If your previous passport was issued to you more than 15 years ago
In case you don’t follow any of the aforementioned points, you can apply for a renewal of a passport online by filling DS-8 form.
Steps and requirements for applying for a new passport
You can download the DS-11 application form online from the travel.state.gov website. There are important terms you should follow while filling the form. It is important to read them carefully and do as directed.
There is an acceptance agent you should wait for before she/he tells you to sign the form post filling it. You also need to provide a social security number if you have been issued one. In case you do not have a social security number, you can submit a statement which is signed and dated, and which includes the phrase “I declare under the penalty of perjury under the laws of the United States of America that the following is true and correct: I have never been issued a Social Security Number by the Social Security Administration.”
You may have to apply for a larger passport that has 52 pages, however, there is no additional cost. To apply for a 52 pages passport, you can check the box ’52 pages’ which is at the top of the DS-11 form.
Evidence for citizenship
Whatever evidence you decide you present, it must be an original or a certified copy of the document. You must also carry a copy of the original document. Here are the requirements to prove your citizenship while applying for a new passport.
- US passport that is valid and not damaged
- The birth certificate that is issued by the city, state of birth, or county, list of your parents’ names, your name, date, and place of birth, mention of the date filed with registrar’s office, the signature of the registrar, issuing authority’s seal
- Certificate of naturalization
- Certificate of citizenship
Photocopy of the evidence of your citizenship
You need to submit the photocopy of the front and back of the evidence you are submitting. It is important that the photocopies you submit are legible, taken on white standard paper with 8.5″x11″, in the black and white font, and single sided. The requirements have to be adhered to while applying for a new passport.
Another important requirement for a new passport is the fees you have to pay for the passport. For children, the fee is approximately $120, and the fee for adults is approximately $165.