Area rugs are a great alternative to wall-to-wall carpet, specifically because they are clean and easy to remove. Moreover, it is easy to switch from one to another if you get bored or you want to redecorate. When it comes to using area rugs in your home, there are a few important guidelines to keep in mind. Before shopping for area rugs, it is imperative that you check out these do’s and don’ts.
Do’s for area rugs:
- Do extend rugs under furniture
- Do ensure to clean it periodically
- Do leave equal space between the rugs
- Do ensure to maintain the rugs in high-traffic areas
Don’ts for area rugs:
- Do not skip on size
- Don’t go for smaller carpets in the bedroom
Different types of area rugs
Area rugs are a great decorative option for the home, office, or any other area wherever they may be placed in whether for functionality or aesthetic reasons. When it comes to area rugs, there are different kinds of rugs you can choose from that suit your needs best. There are two basic types of rugs—handmade rugs and machine-made rugs. Handmade rugs are of various types such as pile rugs and flatweaves. There are also some low-grade handmade rugs available such as hand-tufted, hand hooked, and hand-loomed rugs. The choices among machine-made rugs, lower-end handcrafted rugs, and hand-knotted rugs are usually a matter of budget because the lower-end handcrafted rugs or machine-made rugs cannot often compare to a fine handmade rug.
Maintenaning area rugs
Cleaning tips for every type of area rug may vary, but there are certain things you can do to maintain your rug to help it appear its best and last for many years to come. Generally, medium-to-high pile rugs have to be well cleaned at least once a year to get rid of dust, hair, and any allergens as only vacuuming will not be sufficient. Moreover, low-pile and flatweave rugs must be dusted periodically. You can also check the cleaning guidelines before making a purchase. Rugs manufactured from natural fibers such as jute and sisal can’t actually be cleaned of stains and so huge spills could result in everlasting damage.
Styling tricks for area rugs
The following are some tips and tricks that will help you style the area around the rugs to enhance the ambiance of your home.
- You can place it off-center if you want the rug to be the focal point.
- You can layer some low-pile rugs for a casual and cozy appearance.
- Usually, bigger is better. Therefore, you can always look for a bigger size when choosing an area rug.
- Rugs of different textures can be combined for added effect.
- The colors in the rug do not need to match the colors of the room; therefore, you can just choose the one you like and make it perfect.