Even in the age of information and technology, the passport renewal process for some individuals is shrouded in mystery. The knowledge deficit restricts them from making educated decisions and eventually fall prey to adversities. Bringing a change in the status quo, we have put together credible answers for the most frequently asked questions regarding passport renewal and related queries. So read on and help yourself with prudent decisions.
How do you renew passport via mail?
Contrary to the conventional renewal process, renewals via mail exempt you from appearing in person. Additionally, the process does not entail much effort. The process is accomplishable in three simple steps:
• Fill in the DS-82 application form either online or on paper.
• Assimilate support documents, such as existing passport, passport-size photograph, and renewal fee.
• Package and mailing it to the regional National Passport Processing Center.
How do you determine your candidature for the Passport Renewals by mail?
Your candidature for the said service depends on a few parameters mentioned below:
• Your document should be in a proper condition. Badly mutilated passports are not entertained. Herein, appearance in person and application acceptance facility is necessary.
• You need not apply if you are aged 16 or below
• Document issued within 15 years are eligible.
• The passport needs to bear your current name. Else, providing supporting documents is essential.
What is the appropriate time for renewing your passport?
Passport is a key document, especially when it comes to determining your citizenship in alien shores. So, apply at least a month before you embark on an offshore trip. Even if any such trip is not in the reckoning, you should keep the document valid. It is advisable to initiate the renewal process nine months prior to the expiry date. Moreover, you can consider the renewal at the time of your convenience, even years before the expiry. However, in such cases, a brief explanation may be required on your part.
Where should you mail your application and related documents?
The mailing address may vary as per requirements and geographical location.
• If you have ample time at your disposal, applying for Routine Service is recommended. Herein, the mailing address is National Passport Processing Center, Post Office Box 90155, Philadelphia, PA 19190-0155.
• In an event of an emergency, Expedite Service is recommended. The mailing address for the said service is as follows: National Passport Processing Center, Post Office Box 90955, Philadelphia, PA 19190-0955.
What are the expenses involved in the passport renewal process?
You need to write a check of $140 payable to National Passport Processing Center. The payment of $110 is meant for a passport book and the rest will account for a passport card. For added convenience, the request for both – the book and card – can be made via the same form. The passport renewal process also involves other service expenses, such as the cost of a registered courier.