Rice pudding is a dessert that is prepared in almost every area of the world. The recipe can vary regionally even in a single country. How to make rice pudding depends on the method you feel is the most convenient. Rice pudding has different type of preparation based on preparation method and number of ingredients used. Rice pudding can be boiled or baked.
To know how to make rice pudding from scratch, read on the following list of ingredients and method of preparation
You will need a one and half cup of water, 3/4th cup of rice. You can either use long grain or medium-sized grain of white or brown rice. A pinch of salt is optional in this case. 5 tablespoons of butter. ¾ cup of sugar, although, the quantity of sugar depends on if you are adding any flavor enhancers in the pudding. You will need 4 cups of milk. If you wish to make the rice pudding extra creamier use 2 eggs. Vanilla extract, cinnamon and nutmeg are optional. Balance out the quantity sugar if you are using these flavor enhancers.
Method of preparation
- In a microwave-safe container, add rice, water and salt and microwave it for five to seven minutes until the mixture starts to boil. Set it aside for 10 minutes and microwave it again for the next five minutes or until the rice has become tender.
- In another container, mix butter sugar and milk and microwave high for 10 minutes. While the mixture is getting microwaved, beat 2 eggs. To prevent the eggs from curdling, add a small amount hot mixture, and beat them well again. Return the mixture in the large container to blend the mixture better. Microwave it uncovered for 2 minutes, or until the bubbles around the edge start to form.
- If you are going to use flavor enhancers like vanilla flavor, cinnamon or nutmeg, mix the latter 2 in two teaspoons of vanilla extract and add it to the mixture. Add the mixture as it cools down and gets thickened. Serve the rice pudding warm or chilled.
- Use a microwave popper to cook the rice pudding and make sure that the container is big as you would not want the mixture to pour out of the container as it boils in the microwave
- If you are wondering how to make rice pudding without milk, use condensed milk but make sure that you have precooked rice. This is because if you try to make rice tender in the mixture, the pudding will turn lumpy and chewy due to condensed milk.