Firstly, what are proteins?
Proteins are extremely essential for the human body. It helps in repairing and building tissues, acts as enzymes, helps in maintaining and boosting the immune system, and keeps you healthy and strong. Proteins are a type of macromolecule. Macromolecules are carbohydrates, lipids, DNA, RNA, and nucleic acids. Basically, macromolecules are large molecules in the body of an organism that has specialized functions, and protein is one such macromolecule.
Benefits of Proteins
Incorporating healthy protein foods in your diet is extremely beneficial. Here’s a list of those benefits:
– Proteins help in improving muscle mass
– Eating enough protein ensures that your muscle mass is well maintained. Proteins take care of your tendons, ligaments and other tissues in your body. It is very important to consume proteins after an exercise session, as proteins provide the necessary strength and helps in repairing any damaged muscle or tissue.
– Proteins help keep your weight in check
– Proteins make you full and provide the adequate nutrients for your body. By consuming a healthy amount of proteins, your body experiences a feeling of satiety, thereby stopping you from overeating.
– Proteins help regulate and stabilize blood sugar levels
– Proteins help in slowing down the absorption of sugar during meals. A diet that is high in proteins can prevent a sudden spike in blood sugar levels.
– Proteins help with brain function, concentration, and learning
– Your brain needs proteins. Having healthy proteins will ensure that your brain gets the protein it needs. In order to make enzymes, hormones, and neurotransmitters, your brain needs proteins. Proteins also contain amino acids. Amino acids help with your focus and other cognitive processes.
– Proteins help with maintaining strong bones
– A protein-rich diet can help prevent any form of bone weakness, heal broken bones and fractures, and is extremely beneficial for people suffering from osteoporosis and arthritis.
Foods That Are Rich In Proteins
The recommended daily intake of proteins for women is about 46 grams and about 56 grams for men. Here’s a list of healthy protein foods that you should include in your diet:
– Chicken breast
– Lean beef
– Cottage cheese
– Greek yogurt
– Whey protein supplements
– Wheat bread
– Pumpkin seeds
– Pork chops
– Turkey breast
– Green peas
– Wheat germ
While it is extremely beneficial to consume protein on a daily basis, you need to keep in mind that too much protein can be bad for you too. Excessive protein consumption can result in the following:
– Your kidneys might get affected negatively
– Too much protein can make you feel bloated, constipated, and cause other gastrointestinal issues
– Excessive protein consumption can lead to weight gain
– Too much protein can cause an abnormal increase in liver enzymes
– Risk of having heart diseases and complication increases
So when you consume your proteins, make sure to keep all the above factors in mind to lead a healthier and happier life.