When you are moving to a new house and decorating the entire kitchen space as per your needs, the need for an over-the-range microwave must have crossed your mind at least once. As they improve the functionality and provide comfort with easy ways of cooking, over-the-range microwaves are now integral parts of everyone’s life. However, many people are still left in dark about its functionality, benefits, and facts.
Misconceptions and myths
People who have never used over-the-range (OTR) microwaves have some misconceptions in their minds. Here are some common factors:
Unsafe for your health
One of the popular hoaxes that have been circulating over the years is that over-the-range microwaves cause cancer. The appliance is operated by radio frequency. However, there is no way that it can trigger carcinogenic cells in the human body. Moreover, this type of frequency is always around you regardless of where you are dwelling. If you still have any doubt regarding this, you can contact The American Cancer Society to know that these appliances pose no threats to human health.
Loss of nutrients
This statement is not exactly true but cannot be discarded as entirely false either. The nutritious properties break down when they are exposed to heat, but the source of heat does not really matter in such cases. The nutritious properties can leach out of the food when the food items are prepared with the addition of heat and water. As there is hardly any use of liquid in over-the-range microwaves, the nutrients are easily preserved.
People have developed a misconception that the radio frequency can actually have serious side effects on human health. People believe that if food is cooked or reheated in an over-the-range microwave, it can become radioactive. It is proven that the appliance does not have the power to make the items radioactive; on the contrary, the radio frequency penetrates items to help the molecules in oscillating for the purpose of warming the food products. However, there can be certain problems if you do not use microwave-friendly containers and try to go with the plastic ones.
Benefits of using over-the-range microwaves
The prime perk of using over-the-range microwaves is that you can get done with the process of cooking real fast, without undergoing the strenuous tasks of boiling or sautéing. Here are few of the advantages of using over-the-range microwaves that can help you choose the best product.
- If you choose to buy over-the-range microwaves from Samsung or GE, you can save ample space in your kitchen. The days of tucking everything on the kitchen counter are gone as these microwaves can save a lot of space.
- You can cook and bake with one product.
- Smoke, food odor or steam is not experienced if you install an over-the-range microwave in your kitchen. The inbuilt fans in the appliance can act as the range hood, making these microwaves helpful for multiple purposes.
Disadvantages of using over-the-range microwaves
The cons of the over-the-range microwaves cannot be overlooked as every kitchen doesn’t have wall cabinets. People with a short height can face problems in reaching the appliance. The inbuilt fans in the range hoods may not be sufficient for the ventilation system.
- Extra attention needs to paid while handling the pots as without the installation of it at a proper height; you may not be able to see the food item when it is being prepared.
- The fans that are installed in the range hood are of a relatively poor quality.
If you are going through the newly launched catalog of OTR microwaves, you should pay attention to the power consumption, design, color, ventilation system, warranty and support, and hood.