You want to rock that beautiful backless dress for a friend’s wedding or that summer barbeque or simply wear it for a stroll in the park on a beautiful summer day. What is stopping you is back acne, more commonly known as bacne! Here are some ways to help get rid of bacne and prevent it from coming back.
Bacne could be due to many reasons like oil glands, genetics, stress, diet hormones, etc. It can be due to pore clogging thanks to workout sessions or the case of conditioner from your hair sticking to your back, bag straps or even unwashed bras straps.
While you can always go to the dermatologist for quick solutions like an antibiotic or a topical treatment, there are some bath and body products you can try too. Look for products with salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide. These are common acne-fighting ingredients. Salicylic acid helps in exfoliating and removing dead skin while benzoyl peroxide kills the bacteria that causes acne.
• Body washes: There’s a range of bath and body products you can choose to fight bacne. Try a body wash with benzoyl peroxide. Try choosing a mild formula like so that the skin doesn’t’t’t get dried out even if you decide to shower more than twice a day. Example, Clean & Clear Continuous Control Acne Cleanser.
• Moisturizer: Another bath and body product to consider is moisturizer. Yes, your back needs to be moisturized too. Look for products that ‘oil-free’ and ‘non comedogenic. Like Philosophy Clear Days Ahead Oil-Free Salicylic Acne Treatment & Moisturizer.
• Exfoliator: Exfoliating is an important step when it comes to treating acne. It is important to remove dead skin cells, improve circulation and encourage generation of new skin cells. However, avoid scrubbing too much. Try the Neutrogena Body Clear Body Wash in Pink Grapefruit.
• Keep cool: Another way to treat bacne would be by keeping cool temperatures at night so that you don’t sweat while sleeping and to wear loose cotton clothes while in bed so that your skin breathes.
• Deal with the scar: Acne can leave blemishes and scars on your skin. To get rid of the scars, you could always try a concealer. Vitamin E oil however, is a great way to get rid of scar and encourage formation of new skin cells. You can also opt for a chemical peel that will gently exfoliate the skin to reveal better looking, blemish free skin. But you might want to try that out after consulting with a dermatologist.
• Sunscreen products: Once you have gotten rid of bacne, maintain healthy skin by adding sunscreen to your routine, especially, if you tend to wear outfits that exposes your back a lot. Look for a light, oil-free formula that wont clog your pores. Look for a gel-like formula with vitamin C to keep inflammation at bay.
In the meantime, keep stress levels in check, shower as soon as you exercise and rinse your back after you condition your hair to prevent bacne from recurring.